Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine originated in China over 4,000 years ago. Today Acupuncture and Oriental medicine are used for health maintenance, preventative care and the treatment of disease. The World Health Organization officially recognizes Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine for the treatment of over 200 common clinical disorders! Although Acupuncture is well known in the western world for treating pain, it is a very powerful medicine for treating a wide variety of health concerns.
What is Acupuncture and How Does it Work?
Acupuncture treatments are carried out by inserting very fine pre-sterilized disposable needles into specific points in the body that stimulate and activate the body’s self-healing mechanisms. The point combinations are chosen along the specific meridian system of the body that is imbalanced, based on the theory of physiological interrelationship of the body organs and Oriental medical theory. This is done for the purpose of restoring and maintaining vitality, health and balance.
Modern research that demonstrates how Acupuncture works looks at brain activity. Studies and research done show that by needling acupuncture points and looking at brain activity, it is clear that the endocrine system and nervous system is activated to release chemicals. These chemicals released into the spinal cord, brain and soft tissue affect hormone regulating mechanisms and help maintain homeostasis (balance) in the body naturally.
Pain is often due to soft tissue and muscle harboring trigger points. These are tight taut bands of muscle and fascia responsible for shortening musculature and causing pain. Acupuncture helps eliminate these trigger points, allowing muscle and fascia to relax and eliminating or reducing pain.
Acupuncture treatments may also employ a variety of non-needle techniques including: Herbal Heat Therapy, Oriental Physiotherapy, Bodywork, Herbal Medicine and Nutritional supplementation. A recommendation from the Oriental Medical Pharmacopeia may be suggested based on diagnosis, symptoms and the individuals constitution. Oriental Medicine and Western Medicine compliment each other an can be integrated to offer optimal health care. Our clinic offers Traditional Medicine, tailored to today’s modern world.
Common Conditions Treated by Acupuncture
* Please be aware that not all conditions treated successfully are listed below. If you don’t see your symptoms or condition listed below, please contact; Eric Recine, L.Ac.,MAcOM at (630)-442-2654 for a free consultation to discuss your symptoms.
- Reduction or elimination of pain of all kinds in any location of the body.
- Women’s Health: Acupuncture for Infertility, women undergoing IVF, morning sickness, edema, fatigue, painful menses, irregular menses, premenstrual syndrome, menopausal problems, endometriosis.
- Injury and surgery rehabilitation.
- Adjunct to cancer care: chemo induced symptoms, nausea, fatigue.
- Immune Enhancement, Hiv, low white cell counts, frequent colds, bronchitis.
- Facial Rejuvenation (Acu-facial).
- Gastrointestinal disorders: Irritable bowel syndrome, Chrohn’s disease, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, eating disorders.
- Urogenital disorders: Urinary tract infections, sexual dysfunction. Infertility for both men and women.
- Headaches, migraines, TMJ.
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, bi-polar, psychiatric disorders.
- Dermatology: Psoriasis, rashes, hives, eczema, sores, acne.
- Respiratory Disorders: chronic colds, immune deficiency, asthma, allergies.
- Fatigue, Anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, anemia, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid.
- Chemical dependence, addictions, eating disorders, weight loss.
- Disorders of Nervous System: multiple sclerosis, post-stroke conditions, lupus.